18 April, 2009

Immaculee Ilibagiza - "Left to Tell"


This past Thursday, we had the privilege of attending a Spring Conference on Genocide and Reconciliation at Dolan Performance Hall at the College of St. Elizabeth. Claudine Mukamabano & Kuki Ndiho Dance Performers did a magnificent African Dance presentation sharing the beauty of the culture and the richness of their rituals. This was followed by a most inspiring talk by Immaculee, a living example of Christ's forgiveness and love. Both Claudine and Immaculee are genocide survivors from Rwanda, who feel called by God to tell their amazing stories of faith and hope amidst the deep suffering they experienced in 1994. Immaculee's life was transformed when as a College Student, she was forced to hide in a bathroom for 91 days with seven other women as she heard and saw her family, neighbors and friends be brutally killed. Yet, in the midst of this immense suffering, she finds God and forgiveness. One of our students, Kimberly, writes after the Presentation: " I just wanted to thank you for inviting me and allowing me to hear Immaculee's story. Her story truly showed me that there is really nothing but God, who you have to believe in and place your faith... thank Him for all He has done...I will carry her powerful message with me forever. This was an experience that I will never forget. Once again, thank you."